Latest Scoops in Museums

600x362

The tenth anniversary of 9/11 is an opportunity to reflect on the interdependency of all our lives — something that became so evident the day the World Trade Center came down.

I’ll never forget that morning, reaching Sixth Avenue and 54th Street on my way to work, where...

600x362

People travel the world over to see Stonehenge or the Taj Mahal. But Miami has its own man-made wonder...

600x362

There’s a rather curious museum in the heart of downtown Santa Monica where everything is miniature. I’m talking the people, the furniture, even the fixtures. Few locals even realize it exists...

600x362
Phillip Pessar, Flickr

I’ve written about the monthly art walks in Wynwood, when galleries open their doors, pour a little wine, and show off their latest collections. But it’s not the only part of town bringing together the art cognoscenti...

600x362

Who’s ready for Shark Week?!

The Discovery Channel’s wildly popular programming event is a summer tradition we don’t miss in my home. This year it kicks off July 31. But in addition to watching the powerful predators on the tube, I will be having my own close encounters of the shark kind...

600x362
Muckster, Flickr

Gone is the day when travelers to New York City refuse to leave the confines of Manhattan Island. At first it was a few renegades requesting dining and nightclubs in Williamsburg. Now, they are shopping and gallery-hopping out there, and I receive daily requests for outer borough experiences.    One of my favorites is in Astoria (no longer just a place for great...

600x362
indefinitetransit.com

Spring is the season for gallery hopping. And the Lower East Side is a great place to start. There's nowhere else in Manhattan that's seen such an explosion of gallery growth over the past five years. Sure, Chelsea has more of them (over 300), but the Lower East Side has gone from less than a dozen small spaces just five years ago to around 100 today, making it the neighborhood with the second-highest concentration of galleries in Manhattan...

600x362
Robby Campbell of BeachedMiami.com

If you want a taste of Miami’s art and design scene, then mark your calendar for the second Saturday of the month. That’s when dozens of galleries in both Wynwood and the Design District...

600x362

Every time I enter The Frick, I get this feeling that I’m some sort of 19th-century dignitary arriving for a private soiree. I love that sense of stateliness when strolling through the garden court, where I often...

600x362

One of these days I'm going to pluck up enough courage to come to work sporting myVivienne Westwood tweed suit. It makes me pause every time I see it hanging in the closet: it’s pretty outlandish, but a thing of beauty given to me by my mother, who bought (and wore!) it in the 80s. I’m sure it would make quite an impact with its crazy shoulder pads!

Until then, I can at least content myself with New York's first show dedicated to Westwood's fashions of the era. Vivienne Westwood, 1980-89, debuts today at theMuseum at FIT, and runs until April 2...