Latest Scoops in Bars

600x362

A lot of visitors to San Francisco are surprised to learn that this is a big beer town (you can thank all those 19th-century Irish immigrants for that!). If you only knew what we had in store for this year's SF Beer Week (February 11-20), you'd realize how seriously people take their beer around here...

600x362

For nine years I lived with my wife and two children over Café Un Deux Trois in the Theater District. At five or six years old, my son would go downstairs to the café, take a seat at the bar and have a plate of French fries. It was that kind of place...

Directed and shot by: Thiago Da Costa. Edited by: Thiago Da Costa, Katie Ennis, Zack Wolder.

Coffee as rich as the Viennese like it. Cocktails made with the precision of a scientist and the imagination of an artist...

600x362
Brandy's Piano Bar

Its 9:30 PM on East 54th Street: you can hear the tinkle of piano keys and someone singing Billy Joel. Follow the music down a set of stairs, through the swinging double doors of Bill’s — and back to a time when piano bars weren’t such a novelty in New York. If this were the 1920s you would have to knock and give a password...

600x362

New York changes so quickly; in less than a decade, it can totally reinvent itself. As a concierge, I am constantly asked by guests if such-and-such a place they used to visit still exists. Everyone has a memory of what their New York used to be like. That's why I've decided to start...

600x362
One if by Land, Two if by Sea on Barrow Street

The West Village was the first place I visited when I came to New York 20 years ago. Week after week, I find myself drawn back there for one reason or another, and so when a guest recently asked me for “a charming time downtown,” I knew exactly where to send her...

600x362
Lexington Candy Shop

Most people seem preoccupied with the newest and the chicest, and as a concierge, I stay up to date with all of that. But I have a confession: Sometimes it gives me more of a thrill to discover New York's oldest places — the ones that seem forever frozen in time. We've got a few of these divine dives on the Upper East Side. And my favorites are guaranteed to make...

600x362
Crazystitch, Flickr
Tudor House

With our sandy beaches and over 300 days of sunshine, Santa Monica is not often confused for anywhere in England. And perhaps that’s why our beautiful shores are like a tractor beam for many UK expats — in fact, Santa Monica is known for having one of the largest British expat communities in the country...

600x362
La Biblioteca de Tequila

Tequila's comeback, anyone? Well, if truth be told, the agave spirit never did exit the stage of American liquor. These days it just happens to be playing a starring role. High-end tequila sales are booming (a bottle of Tres Cuatro Cinco Añejo goes for over $500 a bottle). Justin Timberlake is now peddling a nice little sideline of triple distilled 901. And tequila...

600x362
Science journals, medical diagrams and taxidermy decorate the walls of Bedlam.

Nightlife in Alphabet City has for decades danced to its own tune. For one thing, there are probably more bars — and more types of bars — here than in most Manhattan neighborhoods. And while the rest of New York continues to be infiltrated with soul-less vanilla boîtes, the outermost clutches of the East Village continue to sprout true neighborhood spaces with their own distinct DNA...