Latest Scoops in Concierge Confidential

600x362
Photo: Jetta Girl, Flickr

One of my fondest guest requests came from an Italian doctor who works for one of the world’s most jet-set royal families. He appeared at the concierge desk one day, and proposed a challenge: “What is the best cheesecake in New York? Do you really know?”...

600x362
Curious Expeditions
The Explorer's Club

He wanted tarantulas. Meaty, hairy, fist-sized tarantulas. He wanted a lot of them too.

I have fielded many unusual guest requests during my career, but this was certainly one of the more perplexing. A particular gourmand, the guest wanted a fresh batch of tarantulas for roasting a la Fear Factor...

600x362

Spring has sprung, and summer is nipping at your heels. Every beat of your heart and tick of the clock is chiming: “I do, I do!” But now that you’ve decided to do it, your head is clouded with hay fever, and you’re confused how to proceed with a proposal.

If that’s you, and you’re ready to tie the knot, fear not!  I’ll tell you what you need for a...

600x362
Porfirio Rubirosa with one of his many lovers, Zsa Zsa Gabor

I first became interested in Porfirio Rubirosa, the legendary Dominican playboy, when I came to New York in 1988 and started working as a concierge at Le Parker Meridien in midtown.

The hotel was then owned by Air France and served as the principal meeting point for le Tout Paris whenever they came to New York — from Catherine Deneuve to the CEOs of ultra-French...

600x362

It’s true that my job has required me to track down eight cases of rare yellow dragon fruit for a Saudi princess without neglecting the daily itineraries I have been asked to design for another guest and her two kids. Juggling is what we do. But being a concierge is not just about fulfilling the cravings of the rich...