Latest Scoops in History

600x362
Jim Thorpe
Now that the summer season is officially upon us, I thought I’d turn my gaze on my favorite weekend getaway destination. In less than the time it takes to get to the Hamptons — and with far fewer crowds, too — you can be kicking back in your rustic mountain retreat with a view of a beautiful lake. I’m talking about Lake Harmony, in the Western Poconos,...
Shot and edited by Melissa Friedling

This year, the flagship building of the New York Public Library celebrates its centennial.

The iconic marble building towering over Fifth Avenue took 12 years to build. And now, the walls of the facade — 12 inches thick, by the way — are newly gleaming thanks to a recently completed, $50-million restoration...

600x362
The Aqualillies

From biking along the beach to jogging on the Venice boardwalk to playing beach volleyball, there’s certainly no shortage of ways to stay fit around Santa Monica. But I bet you’ve never tried synchronized swimming!  

That’s right: you can take a synchronized swimming class...

Directed and shot by: Thiago Da Costa. Edited by: Thiago Da Costa, Justin Schultz

The precocious character of Eloise is as much a part of The Plaza as the Palm Court or the Oak Room. We still receive letters addressed to Eloise from little girls all over the world. Finally, they have a place where...

600x362
Top Photo: A. Strakey, Flickr. Bottom Photo: Tom Giebel, Flickr.

There’s a piece of Ireland in New York, and I’m not talking about the many Irish pubs that dot the city. I mean there’s an actual 19th-century stone cottage from the west coast of Ireland that now resides in Battery Park City...

600x362

Every time I enter The Frick, I get this feeling that I’m some sort of 19th-century dignitary arriving for a private soiree. I love that sense of stateliness when strolling through the garden court, where I often...

600x362

The Oscars may be over but the Miami International Film Festival has just begun. Filmmakers from all over the world have descended on the city to present more than 100 films over 10 days...

600x362
Brandy's Piano Bar

Its 9:30 PM on East 54th Street: you can hear the tinkle of piano keys and someone singing Billy Joel. Follow the music down a set of stairs, through the swinging double doors of Bill’s — and back to a time when piano bars weren’t such a novelty in New York. If this were the 1920s you would have to knock and give a password...

600x362

What fortress on Park Avenue conceals 17 intact interiors from the 19th century? The Park Avenue Armory — a staunch, red brick “castle” that stretches from 66th to 67th Street...

600x362
One if by Land, Two if by Sea on Barrow Street

The West Village was the first place I visited when I came to New York 20 years ago. Week after week, I find myself drawn back there for one reason or another, and so when a guest recently asked me for “a charming time downtown,” I knew exactly where to send her...