Latest Scoops in History

600x362
Photo: rachelandmaya.wordpress.com
Soda Jerks on the Santa Monica Pier

It’s not very nice to call someone a jerk — unless they work at Soda Jerks on the Santa Monica Pier. A “soda jerk” is an old-fashioned term for...

Shot by Thiago Da Costa. Edited by Justin Schultz.

Whether you're looking for a lovely little stroll amid historic architecture, or to shop for some amazing antiques, Jackson Square seems to have something for everyone...

600x362

As you head towards the East River on 61st Street, nothing seems out of the ordinary at first: you’ll pass some neighborhood restaurants, and a big Bed, Bath and Beyond. But if you press on toward York Avenue, you’ll come upon...

600x362
Mark McLaughlin, Flickr

Lots of people know Muscle Beach in Venice, where famous bodybuilders have honed their biceps, including Arnold Schwarzenegger (long before he became the Governator).   But did you know that the original Muscle Beach was right here in Santa Monica?...

600x362

The tenth anniversary of 9/11 is an opportunity to reflect on the interdependency of all our lives — something that became so evident the day the World Trade Center came down.

I’ll never forget that morning, reaching Sixth Avenue and 54th Street on my way to work, where...

600x362

There’s a rather curious museum in the heart of downtown Santa Monica where everything is miniature. I’m talking the people, the furniture, even the fixtures. Few locals even realize it exists...

Shot and edited by Jack Gordon

British-style gastropubs are all the rage in New York these days, but until now, you had to go downtown for really good fish and chips. With the recent opening of Jones Wood Foundry, you don't have to leave the Upper East Side to get your fill of homemade crumpets and pot pies...

Shot by Thiago Da Costa. Edited by Melissa Friedling.

Everything that makes Miami so appealing seems to converge at South Pointe Park. Popular with locals but lesser known to visitors, this park sits right at the southern tip of Miami Beach...

600x362
Muckster, Flickr

Gone is the day when travelers to New York City refuse to leave the confines of Manhattan Island. At first it was a few renegades requesting dining and nightclubs in Williamsburg. Now, they are shopping and gallery-hopping out there, and I receive daily requests for outer borough experiences.    One of my favorites is in Astoria (no longer just a place for great...

Shot and Edited by Melissa Friedling.

Central Park is New York's great playground and our own backyard here at The Plaza.

When families wish to explore the park, they often ask me to direct them to the highlights. A must-see for young children is the mysterious and beautiful...