Latest Scoops in Art

600x362

There’s a rather curious museum in the heart of downtown Santa Monica where everything is miniature. I’m talking the people, the furniture, even the fixtures. Few locals even realize it exists...

600x362
Phillip Pessar, Flickr

I’ve written about the monthly art walks in Wynwood, when galleries open their doors, pour a little wine, and show off their latest collections. But it’s not the only part of town bringing together the art cognoscenti...

600x362
rwfey, Flickr

For anyone passionate, or even just curious, about the visual arts, a visit to San Francisco is incomplete without stopping by Flax Art & Design, the city’s much loved — and oldest — art supply store...

600x362
HipShops.com

On the few lunch hours when I actually leave my desk, I sometimes head over the road to the furniture and home goods shop, The Future Perfect on Great Jones Street. This one-of-a-kind place is more than just a store...

600x362
Stacy Lynn Baum, Flickr

My friends with kids in Santa Monica are big fans of Color Me Mine, the do-it-yourself ceramics shop, and it’s an especially popular hangout for the 12-and-under set.

But not everyone knows that on Wednesdays this crafty spot goes grown-up...

Shot by Thiago Da Costa. Edited by Justin Schultz.

Made in America is not something you hear often anymore — and it's particularly hard to find on the tag of a shirt these days. But I've found a uniquely cool men's shop that flies the banner with sincerity...

600x362
Nick Harris1, Flickr

The city has been buzzing about the opening of the newest section of the High Line — an abandoned elevated railway that in just two years has become one of New York’s most popular parks.

Well, I’ve just gotten word that the opening is June 8...

Shot and edited by Melissa Friedling

This year, the flagship building of the New York Public Library celebrates its centennial.

The iconic marble building towering over Fifth Avenue took 12 years to build. And now, the walls of the facade — 12 inches thick, by the way — are newly gleaming thanks to a recently completed, $50-million restoration...

Directed and shot by: Thiago Da Costa. Edited by: Thiago Da Costa, Justin Schultz

Which neighborhood is the safest in New York City?

Find out in my latest video, where I'll also show you some of my favorite places for family fun in this part of town...

600x362
indefinitetransit.com

Spring is the season for gallery hopping. And the Lower East Side is a great place to start. There's nowhere else in Manhattan that's seen such an explosion of gallery growth over the past five years. Sure, Chelsea has more of them (over 300), but the Lower East Side has gone from less than a dozen small spaces just five years ago to around 100 today, making it the neighborhood with the second-highest concentration of galleries in Manhattan...