Latest Scoops in Jewish

Shot and edited by Jack Gordon

The perfect picnic in the park starts with food from one of my favorite New York bakeries: Orwasher's. The shop houses a 100-year-old oven that turns out some of the most amazing bread you can get in the city...

Shot by Zao Wang. Edited by Xiao Li Tan and Zao Wang.

Russ & Daughters has been run by four generations of the Russ family since 1914. Today, it's not just home to the best smoked, cured and pickled fish in New York City. It's also one of the last outposts of the Lower East Side's Jewish culinary history...

600x362
Photo: revenante, Flickr

When Angeli Caffe closed earlier this year, there was a collective mourning for the beloved Italian eatery by chef Evan Kleiman. It wasn’t only for her gnocchi and pizza, but also the special feasts, including the annual Passover dinner she held for 27 years.

Well, I’ve got some juicy news for Angeli fans and general food-lovers alike...

600x362

Many a first-time visitor to the Russian & Turkish Baths has felt a little intimidated upon entering. (Add disoriented, confused and freaked out to that list.) I know I was...

600x362
Photo: courtesy of the Tenement Museum

Every New Yorker knows about — and most will chime in on — the ever-running bagel debate...

600x362
Dacran, Flickr
Borscht at Veselka (yes, it really is that color).

This week I’m handing over this space to guest blogger, Aron Kelly, who’s our lobby bar manager at The Bowery Hotel.

Contrary to popular myth, New York is a city that sleeps — normally around three in the morning on weeknights. But that's not to say you can't find a few great places to eat in the middle of the night. You just need to know where to look...

600x362

Look for the Kosher salami hanging in the window and you know you have arrived at Pastrami Queen — one of the best Jewish delis in the city. Barely bigger than a street vendor’s cart, the quilted metal-paneled interior actually reminds me of one...

600x362

January 17 marks the 25th anniversary of Martin Luther King Day, and the Museum of the African Diaspora plans to celebrate the observance with a fun-packed — and free — program...