Latest Scoops in Outdoors

600x362
ghirson, Flickr

In an outdoor paradise like Santa Monica, there’s always demand for al fresco dining. But why limit yourself to a restaurant’s patio when Santa Monica has more than 20 public parks that provide the perfect backdrop to a gourmet picnic...

600x362
Maneno.org
Fillmore Jazz Festival

San Francisco is not quite New York or New Orleans when it comes to jazz venues — but that may soon be changing...

600x362
Gnoslis Media, Flickr

You can pay good money for a concert under the stars at the Greek Theater or the Hollywood Bowl, two of Los Angeles’ outdoor amphitheaters. Or, you can keep that cash in your wallet (and your butt in a beach chair) while still enjoying the same world-class musicians right on Santa Monica Pier...

Shot by Thiago Da Costa. Edited by Melissa Friedling

The Miami Seaquarium is the longest running oceanarium in the U.S. Opened in 1955, the park has unique ties to the classic television show Flipper — which I'll reveal in this new video...

600x362

Spring has sprung, and summer is nipping at your heels. Every beat of your heart and tick of the clock is chiming: “I do, I do!” But now that you’ve decided to do it, your head is clouded with hay fever, and you’re confused how to proceed with a proposal.

If that’s you, and you’re ready to tie the knot, fear not!  I’ll tell you what you need for a...

600x362
Jim Thorpe
Now that the summer season is officially upon us, I thought I’d turn my gaze on my favorite weekend getaway destination. In less than the time it takes to get to the Hamptons — and with far fewer crowds, too — you can be kicking back in your rustic mountain retreat with a view of a beautiful lake. I’m talking about Lake Harmony, in the Western Poconos,...
600x362
Red.Dahlia, Flickr

If you’re in the market for a summertime romance, Santa Monica has all the ingredients: Pacific Ocean sunsets, breezy evenings, and moonlit beach walks.

But in June, this town takes it up a notch with a series of “drive-in” movies on the Santa Monica Pier...

600x362

A decade ago, after the dot-com bubble burst, and most of the digital companies closed shop in the South Park area of SoMa, I wouldn't have sent my guests anywhere near there. But these days it's abuzz again with cool destination shopping and eating...

600x362
Nick Harris1, Flickr

The city has been buzzing about the opening of the newest section of the High Line — an abandoned elevated railway that in just two years has become one of New York’s most popular parks.

Well, I’ve just gotten word that the opening is June 8...

600x362
Scared Panda, Flickr

You could be forgiven if you hadn't heard of the Hester Street Fair when it debuted last summer. This year, however, Lower East Side locals — and fans from further afield — look set to turn the event into a neighborhood must-do...